- Rodents will chew on anything available to them and can cause great damage in your home
- Rodents are also exceptionally dirty – their feces and urine can contaminate your home’s surfaces
- Rodents are rapid breeders and some species breed year-round. Although some rodents are known for their short life spans, populations are maintained through constant reproduction
Rats and mice are very destructive and fixing their damage to your cabinetry, wood work, or furniture can be quite expensive. These rodents can also place your home in danger. Mice chew everything in sight; much of their damage will be out of sight, inside your walls.
For example mice love to gnaw on insulation and wiring. Frayed electrical wiring caused by rodents has produced many house fires. Call us today to protect your family and your home from a rodent infestation.
Rats are an age-old invader of homes and properties. They can destroy parts of your home, ruin furniture, eat and spoil food, and spread disease. It’s therefore a priority for homeowners to deal with mice and rats as soon as possible.
One of the only reliable ways to end a mouse or rat infestation is to reach out to a professional. Contact our rodent control professionals for an inspection or a FREE estimate to get rid of your rat or mouse problem for good.
We Won’t Stop Until Rodent Problems Are Behind You.
Signs of a Rodent Infestation
- The first sign is often pellet-like rodent droppings around food, cabinets, sinks, etc.
- Look for chew marks in your pantry goods, with bags or boxes of foods like cereal being torn into.
- You may hear squeaking noises from odd parts of the house. This likely indicates there’s a family of mice or rats somewhere close-by (such as in a wall or cupboard).
- Rats may chew holes and pathways out of your floor or in your walls, creating highways for rats to travel from room to room, or to access your house from the outside.
- You may find nesting material like shredded paper, insulation or fabric tucked into corners and crevices.
- You may detect bad smells from behind walls or in vents due to rat urine or feces.
- Smaller than rats: full grown adults can range between 1-4 inches in body length. Their tails are also furry, and their ears large and floppy.
- Nocturnal rodents.
- As with rats, they come in many shades of brown, black, white, or grey.
- Very territorial but also social.
- Rats are nocturnal rodents that can include true rats (black rats or brown rats), or other similar mammals of a different species (kangaroo rats, pack rats, etc.)
- Larger than mice (12-18 inches in length) with bodies generally the same length as their tails. Their tails are also hairless.
- They appear in various colors like white, gray, brown and black.
- Can weigh anywhere from one half to a full pound and they leave behind grease marks wherever they travel.
Where to check for mice and rats in your property
- Basements & cellars
- Cavity walls
- Overgrown vegetation
- Compost bins and heaps
- Lofts, attics & eaves
- Kitchens & laundries
- Inside garage
Rodents Health Concerns
- Rats and mice are historically the cause of plagues and diseases. They can carry dangerous parasites, bacteria and protozoa, such as the bacterium leptospirosis (or Well’s disease), transmitted by rat urine and which can cause kidney damage.
- Other diseases include the potentially deadly Hanta virus, salmonella poisoning, and rat-bite fever.
- Rats can even act as the intermediary host between fleas infected with bubonic plague (the disease that killed millions before the discovery of its cause).
- Humans can contract many of these diseases as a result of not cleaning up droppings and urine.
Rodents Control Measures
- Always keep your living space clean, which reduces the risk from other pests, as well.
- Empty garbage proactively, pick up crumbs, and keep pantry food sealed in metal bins; or store your rice, grains and cereals in your freezer.
- If you’ve taken away their food source, you should also eliminate their water source. Be mindful of standing water in your home. Keep water bowls for pets in rooms that you know are rat and mouse-proof.
- Be mindful of chewed holes in your house. These are rat and mouse entry points, and should be patched immediately to block their transit system.
Rodents cause huge economic losses by:
- consuming, damaging and contaminating food in the field, in storage throughout the food chain and in the home
- damaging structures, buildings, bridges, sewers, and cabling etc, by gnawing and burrowing; and
- damaging and contaminating goods such as packaging, clothing, and furniture.
What can I do if I think I have a Mice & Rat infestation?
Get in Touch with Imagine Care
DIY products are a cost effective way to control small infestations of rodents, professional rodent control is required for more established mice and rat colonies or where there is a repeated infestation.
Alternatively hire Imagine Care rodent specialists to deal with the rodent problem. The technicians provide a highly targeted treatment to deal with any rodent problems and will offer advice on how to keep your home free of mice and rats in the future.
You’ve already struggled enough…
Book & Save 20% Now
Homes & Apartments
Ksh 8,000, Now Ksh 6,400
Restaurants & Offices
Ksh 10,000, Now Ksh 8,000
Stores & Butcheries
Ksh 10,000, Now Ksh 8,000
Require a survey @ Kes 1,000
Discount: Applies to Nairobi & Kiambu counties only!
How to pay: Mpesa Till no. 810164
Contrary to popular belief, cheese is not a good bait for mice or rats. Peanut butter and chocolate work well as long as you don’t put too much on the trap. Work the bait onto the trap’s trigger so that it is hard for the rodent to get it off and it will be forced to climb onto the trigger.
Mice are best controlled by using rat and mice poison.
When using rodenticides, include different baits (chocolate, peanut butter, etc.) and place them where the mice are active –– but where children and pets can’t get to them.
Also, seal exterior cracks and holes and put weather strips on doors to prevent new mice from entering. Mice only need a one-quarter-inch hole to enter. Numerous mice indicate a more serious problem and should be dealt with by a rat and mice professional.
If you live by a field or in the woods, it is likely that you will have to deal with mice every fall and winter. The following techniques will assist in controlling the problem:
- Seal as many openings and holes in the exterior walls as possible and put weather strips on the bottom of all doors – especially the garage door – to prevent mice from entering. If you can stick a pencil through a crack or hole, a mouse can squeeze through it.
- Place live traps inside the garage on either side of the doorway, making sure children and pets don’t have access to them.
- Make sure all foundation and attic vents have one-quarter-inch hardware cloths tightly fitted over the opening and do the same for any turbine vents in the roof.
- Trim all tree branches at least 10 feet from the roof.
When it comes to controlling a rat problem, traps are best because the bodies can be easily removed. In some cases, you need to use both traps and baits. Rodent bait should be used only in tamper-resistant rodent stations. Baits should NEVER be placed unsecured where children or pets could access them.
It may be better to hire a professional. Contact Imagine Care to get a free pest evaluation or estimate.
That’s why you need a fumigation company with experience and the correct combination of effective rodenticides to get rid of the rodent problem for good.
However, if you need to use rat and mice treatments without seeking the help of a licensed fumigation company, you can buy from our Online Shop anytime.
Choose Imagine Care
Why people always choose us!
- Swift Response – We’ll arrive within the shortest time possible. Ie within 3 hours.
- Recommendations – Our rodent control technicians provide a Pest Control Report with recommendations on how to avoid future re infestations.
- Discreet Service – We arrive at your premises in unmarked trucks for privacy purposes.
- Tailored solutions – designed specifically for each problem.
- Pest awareness training – We’ll provide training to homeowners and house-keeping staff to help them spot the early signs of a rodent problem, thereby enabling quicker and more effective treatments.
- Experienced & Knowledgeable stewards – Rich in hands on experience having handled numerous household, hotel, restaurant, school and office rodent problems successfully.
- Free Inspection – We offer free and detailed Inspection to determine the root problem.
Happy customers do the talking for you.
Imagine Care fixed our rat problem. We went from panic to relief and there have been no more noises in the attic. The 60 day warranty also gave us peace of mind.
Attentive and very patient. Would definitely recommend them to all my friends and family members, thank you so much Imagine Care.
Get in touch with us
For booking and general inquiries.
Imagine Care on Google Maps
Latest blog posts and news
From Our Blog
Getting rid of fleas can be a hard task especially because they survive through four stages which include egg, larva, pupa and adult. Extreme flea infestation can pose health problems to people and pets particularly because these parasites survive by sucking blood.
To completely get rid of houseflies, proper sanitation is key. Regular inspection for possible breeding spots such as trash cans, pet waste and rotten foods must be done. If the DIY methods fail, you can always contact a pest control expert. Imagine Care ensures to provide affordable and long-term solutions to pest infestations.